Me

Hello! My name is Abby and I am going to school to become an ASL/English interpreter. This page is full of my interpreting homework and other cool things about interpreting. Hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Patrie 5.1 ASL to English

Context:
This man came into a high school history class. The class had been discussing the history of slaves and slave labor. The teacher brought in this man to present because there are two Deaf students in the class and thought it would be nice to have a presenter who was also Deaf. There are 28 other students who are hearing and the teacher is also hearing. 

ASL Source Material: WTO

Interpretation of WTO
ASL-English

Study Questions:
2. Spacial Relationship: when the protesters were holding signs and where the protesters were set up compared to where the police were set up. In my interpretation I did set up that protesters were holding signs. I don't think I set up that the police were set up across from them, I said they were there, but I did not say where. 

3. Temporal Relationship: First there was a meeting in Seattle about the World Trade Organization, then they got together to make signs, then they protested, then there was chaos, then it was solved, and then there was controversy over whose fault it was for the riot starting. I felt these things were in my interpretation and preserved. Although they are in there I did not always find the best word choice to way to represent what was happening. 

4. Logical Relationship: When a riot started in the crowd of protester the police had to act to settle things down and keep it in control. In my interpretation this was preserved. 

5. Hypothesis: I had no idea what the WTO was until he expanded and said :WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION. So I did not have much of a schema to use for hypothesizing. After learning what WTO meant, I did not hypothesis that there was going to be a protest. When learning there was a protest, I did hypothesis that there was going to be a riot and it getting out of hand. 

Over All Thoughts:
  • The first attempt at interpreting this I had to stop after the first statement. I watched and gave myself enough time to get a whole coherent thought and where I was going with it, but as I started to interpret I totally lost everything he had said after. 
  • At times I used vocabulary that matched the speaker: police, strike, command, chaos (I think it fit at times).
  • At times I used vocabulary that did not match the speakers affect or spoke in ASL gloss: ummm, lousy pay, "did have a really good work ethics," these people (confusing on who I am referring to), chaos (riot may be a better word choice at times), hose plugged in, cops, gas guns (is that the correct name for it??)
  • I wanted to video tape myself to see what I look like when I am interpreting from ASL to English. I thought I did not do much external processing other than my eyes getting bigger or smaller, and my face showing confusing or nodding. 


No comments: