Me

Hello! My name is Abby and I am going to school to become an ASL/English interpreter. This page is full of my interpreting homework and other cool things about interpreting. Hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Patrie 6.1 ASL to English


Study Questions:

  1. Context: This man came into an intro Criminal Justice college course to explain the basics of the criminal justice system. He works in this setting and is very knowledgeable about how the system works. There is 1 Deaf person in the class and 22 hearing students.
  1. The gist of the selection is about the 4 basics parts of the criminal justice system and explaining what they are. The four parts are: arrest phase, prosecution phase, arraignment phase in court, and the correctional aspect.
  1. I don’t think I represented the actors correctly, I did not understand or know who many of the people mentioned in this text are and what role they play. I tried to set up the criminal on my left side, but I know I mixed it up a few times.
  1. I do not think I did very well in relating concepts together. I had a hard time understanding this text as I was interpreting it. I recognized words and titles of people but I am not sure what all of their roles were and if I represented that correctly.
  1. I think that the illocutionary force was maintained but the man did not use a variety of it. He was just explaining stuff, and never asked questions. If he emphasized a point or something like that, it may not have been maintained.

No comments: